We’ve been providing developers with tools to help them build better WordPress sites since 2011
Roots is a team of developers that have come together to work on open source projects.
Roots embraces the open source ethos and believes in peer production. Through our team and community, we have dedicated thousands of person-hours to building and continuously improving our projects since 2011. Over 300 contributors have come together to help make better tools for WordPress under the Roots name.
Trusted by some of the most forward thinking brands
Roots was originally just a WordPress starter theme that was created late-2009 by Ben Word. Scott Walkinshaw started contributing in 2011, and the Roots theme was released to the public on March 28th, 2011.
Roots has evolved into a full breadth starting point for website development and spawned additional projects to support and enhance it. It has created an entire community of conversation on what web development should be and how it has sometimes lost its way. It has grown into a team of open source developers who are dedicated to making the web better.
In the media
- The Changelog: Episode #156 with Ben Word and Scott Walkinshaw
- CSS-Tricks: An Intro to Bedrock for WordPress
- WP Tavern: Roots Team Releases wp-password-bcrypt Plugin to Improve WordPress Password Security
- WP Tavern: New Roots Radio Podcast Discusses WordPress and Modern Web Development Topics
- WP Tavern: Roots WordPress Starter Theme Rebrands as Sage with 8.0 Release
- WP Tavern: Roots Starter Theme for WordPress Will Become Framework Agnostic in 2015
- WordCamp DFW 2018: Deploying WordPress with Git & CI
- by Ben Word
- WordCamp Portland 2017: Managing a WordPress Site Using Roots Projects
- by Benjamin Turner
- WordCamp Buenos Aires 2017: Roots: Introducción a sus herramientas
- WordCamp DC 2017: Modern WordPress Theme Development with Sage 9
- by Casey Driscoll
- WordCamp Prague 2017: Bedrock, aneb WordPress přes Composer
- by Martin Hlaváč
- WordCamp Bratislava 2017: Bedrock, aneb WordPress přes Composer
- by Martin Hlaváč
- WordCamp Norrköping 2015: Using Sage WordPress Starter Theme
- WordCamp Vancouver 2015: Stepping Outside the Bubble
- WordCamp Seattle 2015: Composer with WordPress
- by Kalen Johnson
- WordCamp Atlanta 2015: Using Roots/Sage 8.0.0 – A Modern Developers Starter Theme
- WordCamp Raleigh 2014: Roots: The starter theme that will make you a better developer
- WordCamp Ottawa 2014: Modern WordPress Development
- by Scott Walkinshaw
- WordCamp LAX 2014: A Starter Theme Workflow with Roots
- by Shaimoom Newaz
- WordCamp Orlando 2014: Roots Starter Theme
- by David Rogers
Looking for our logos and other assets? See our brand guidelines.
The Roots logo and project logos were created by Jens Windolf.